Employee Spotlight: Katie McManus



It's our last Employee Spotlight of the summer! This week, we're excited to introduce Kate McManus, our Advertising and Marketing Manger. She's answered a few questions so that everyone can get to know her a little better.


Tell us about your history with Peachtree.

I started in magazine publishing in 1991. I was hired in my hometown of Norwalk, CT as an editorial associate at Teaching K-8 Magazine (a subsidiary of Highlights for Children). During my 17 years at Teaching K-8, I was promoted to Production Manager, Operations Manager and Associate Publisher. I had some really great role models. My bosses had been in publishing for many, many years and I learned a great deal from their experience and wisdom.

In 2003, my husband was relocated to GA with his company, so we packed our bags (and our 2-year-old twin boys) and started a new chapter of our lives in the south. I continued to work for Teaching K-8 from my home in Atlanta until the magazine closed its doors in 2008. Peachtree was one of our advertisers in the magazine and the Atlanta sales rep suggested I send my resume to Peachtree. Margaret Quinlin contacted me soon after that to see if I would be interested in joining the peaches on a consulting basis.

I started off reorganizing mailing lists, handling catalog distribution and managing our advertising and marketing process. Over the years, I have taken on more job functions from maintaining and distributing metadata to being part of the production team.

What are your top three favorite books, any genre?

Blueberries for Sal – Robert McCloskey (My Nana and I used to walk to the local library together and this was one of my favorites that she and I would read together.)

Lone Survivor – Marcus Luttrell

A Time to Kill – John Grisham

Who is your hero or role model and why?

I’ve got quite a few heroes/role models. As I mentioned earlier, I learned so much from my bosses at Teaching K-8 Magazine. Allen Raymond and Patricia Broderick taught me about publishing, the importance of always acting in a professional manner, and they shared such a wealth of their knowledge with me. I had a similar experience before I started working there. Throughout high school and college, I worked at a local family-owned deli. The owner was an older gentleman named Henry Millett aka “Pop.” Pop taught me to be responsible, the importance of having a strong work ethic, the customer is always right, and everything you could possibly want to know about making a perfect soup from scratch or the best-tasting sandwich! These role models were all senior citizens and I have a ton of respect for them and everything they shared with me. They definitely had a huge hand in shaping the person I am today. I am forever grateful for their encouragement and support.

What is your favorite thing about working at Peachtree?

The cats! Just kidding. I’m not a big fan of cats. I actually enjoy being involved in almost every aspect of producing a book from start to finish. It’s an amazing process. Earlier in my career, I enjoyed putting the components of a magazine together and seeing the final results every month. At Peachtree, we’re juggling multiple titles at once and I just love seeing a whole season of books come together after a lot of hard work.

In your position, what do you consider to be your secret weapon?


Prioritizing and staying organized!

Do you have any big interests or hobbies that you focus on outside of work?

Right now I’m just trying to work and raise 16-year-old twin boys. They eat a ton, so just buying groceries and cooking meals keeps me busy. I also enjoy walking and exercising when I can fit it in.

If, in an alternate reality, you were to have gone a completely different career route, what would you have done?

Court reporter or radio dj – no joke!


For more behind the scenes interviews, check out the Employee Spotlight with Sherry, our Accounting Manager!

Feel free to write any questions or comments for Katie below!

Labels: , , ,