Behind the Books: Turtle Heaven


Once again we welcome author Melissa Stewart to the blog!




For the last few weeks, I’ve been reviewing final art from uber-talented illustrator Higgins Bond and making final edits to the text for my 2013 book A Place for Turtles. So it seems fitting that my husband, brother-in-law, and I took a trek to the Oxbow Wildlife Refuge in Harvard, MA.

Not only is it truly a place for turtles. It's turtle heaven. Really.



Look at this picture. Do you see also those shelled reptiles. There are literally hundreds sunning themselves on logs sticking out of this wetland. And don't even get me started about the frogs. I've never seen more of the leggy leapers in one day.
Peter caught a the painted turtle above, so I could get a close up image. Then he helped it cross the trail.

Later, we spotted this giant snapper crossing the trail in front of us. After snapping a few action shots, we watched and documented it plunging into the water. Awesome!

What a great day!

(cross-posted from Melissa Stewart's blog) 

Labels: , , , , ,