And then it hit me... The raptors in this book were not the ones I was picturing in my head. They were birds. Cue the disappointment. However, I soldiered onward and read the book, coming to the conclusion that raptor birds are nearly as awesome as raptor dinosaurs. So below, I give you my list of:
THINGS I LEARNED FROM ABOUT RAPTORS THAT MAKE BIRDS AS AWESOME AS DINOSAURS.
- They are birds of prey that hunt and eat other animals, just like velociraptors did.
- Raptors have hooked beaks for tearing meat, just like the sharp teeth did for the velociraptor.
- Both have strong feet with sharp claws, or talons.
- Birds can FLY. Some can even capture their prey in the air or snatch food from the water! Take that velociraptor! (Fun Fact: Raptors fly different ways according to the shape of their wings!)
- Some raptor birds hunt for and eat animals that are already dead. I don't know if velociraptors did this too, but either way, I think it has that gross factor that would fascinate kids.
- Birds create really cool nests. Some are on the ground, others are in trees. Some are even in holes or on cliff ledges. I'm no expert, but I doubt many velociraptors hung out on cliff ledges.
- Raptors live almost everywhere in the world, when velociraptors a) are extinct and b) when they were alive, only lived in Central Asia.
- There are 450 types raptor birds in the world, but only one type of velociraptor.
- When referring to raptors, I get to use cool words like carrion and crepuscular, that make me sound smart.
How can you not laugh at a velociraptor on a bike?! Oh the wonderful things that the internet brings to me...