Saturday, April 10, 2010

Read-A-Thon: Eleanor's Story: An American Girl in Hitler's Germany


I love reading memoirs, so this book has been in my to-be-read pile for a while. Eleanor was living in America with her German parents. Her father is offered a good paying job in Germany, so they move back at the beginning of the war.

Eleanor's Story has received numerous accolades including a starred review in Booklist, International Reading Association's 2000 Children's Book Award, and is an ALA (YALSA) 2000 Best Book for Young People. If you're a teacher, be sure to check out the teacher's guide for it here.

10:03 p.m. Time to start book 3! I guess it is book 4 if you count the picture book.

I completely fell asleep around 2 a.m., book in hand and light on. I'll be napping and relaxing today though, and finishing this book, because I'm really enjoying it.

4 comments:

  1. Just stopped by to cheer you on and share my Read-A-Thon poem.

    If I could have one wish,
    I know what I would say.
    Just give me my books,
    And let me read all day.

    Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting book. I hope you enjoy what's left of the readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm sorry I didn't get to cheer you earlier on in the Read-a-Thon. :( How are you holding up?

    Wow, that book sounds interesting. I've always seen memoirs of either Germans or Jews during the WWII, but this is the first time I've heard of the American girl with German parents kind of perspective. :)

    I hope you're enjoying your reads. And 3 (or is it 4? :/) books is awesome~ I've only finished one. XDD Been too busy cheering. XP

    About an hour left to the Read-a-Thon! That's enough time to ask: Did you have fun? If you did, I'd say it's a 100% success then! ;)

    Happy reading~

    Kihana

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope your read-a-thon experience was a wondrous as mine.

    Ode to a Read-a-Thon

    Sleep sneak attacks at the oddest moments
    The world tilts you out of your seat
    The ground looses its grip on your feet
    Then clad in not but the sky's adornments
    You slide into dream as long regiments
    Of text glide endlessly past your eyes
    On the flapping wings of dragon flies.

    by Joy Renee October 2009

    read with joy

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment and make sure to include an email address so we can contact you if you win a giveaway! Happy Reading!